Singer Rihanna has cancelled a concert in Nice in the wake of the Bastille Day attack that left at least 84 dead.
The pop star wrote on Instagram her gig on Friday at the city’s Allianz Stadium “would not be going ahead as planned… due to the tragic events”.
The Nice Jazz Festival, due to start on Saturday, has also been cancelled.
Many figures from the entertainment world have expressed shock at the news, with Simon Cowell among those sending “thoughts and prayers to all affected”.
Rihanna, currently in Europe with her Anti tour, was in Nice at the time of the attack but was said to be “safe” by her representative.
The makers of the sequel to Fifty Shades of Grey – which had been filming on location in the south of France – also said everyone working on the film had been accounted for and was “safe and sound”.
Producer Dana Brunetti circulated the statement on Facebook, saying it was “another sad day for France and the world”.
At least 84 people were killed when a lorry ploughed through a crowd during Bastille Day celebrations in Nice on Thursday evening.
The driver drove 2km down the city’s Promenade des Anglais at about 23:00 local time, before being shot dead by police.
Youssou N’Dour, Melody Gardot and Britain’s Laura Mvula were among those who had been scheduled to appear at Nice’s Jazz Festival.
The event was to have run from Saturday to Wednesday but has now been cancelled, as have some of the city’s other Bastille celebrations this weekend.
US singer George Clinton, who had been due to perform at the festival on Sunday, sent his “sincere condolences and prayers to the families of the victims”.
London-based rapper Tiggs Da Author, who was also scheduled to appear on Sunday, is another performer to have sent “thoughts and prayers” via Twitter.
All copyrights for this article are reserved to bbc world